Kyrie's School Blues
Meet Kyrie! She is an eight year old fourth grader who is intelligent and not afraid to show it.
Kyrie loves reading and building her vocabulary.
Homeschooled until age eight, Kyrie is eager to attend school for the first time to finally make friends.
But when peer bullying arises, Kyrie has to develop the confidence to devise a plan to stop the bullies in their tracks!
Kyrie's School Blues Explores...
Power of Reading & Vocabulary Building
- Kyrie carries her special notebook, ”Kyrie’s Fantastic Words List” everywhere she goes!
- Kyrie incorporates her growing vocabulary into her thoughts and conversations.
Self Esteem, Character Building & Power of Friendship
- Kyrie’s experiences entering school epitomize some challenges children encounter when trying to fit into new environments and make friends.
- Kyrie’s optimism is momentarily quelled when she faces unanticipated bullying from peers.
- Kyrie questions how to identify a true friend.
- Kyrie introduces the Gifts in Brown Paper Packages concept; that there is value and strength found even in the challenges in life.
Resilience & Finding Her Voice
- Confidence gained through a Storytelling Competition & encouragement from a true friend, aids Kyrie in finding her voice.
- By using her words to stand up to the bully, Kyrie begins to believe in the strength & value of her voice!